Friends House is a Type C (fee-for-service) Life Plan Community. That means our residents can enjoy a vibrant, active lifestyle in Residential (Independent) living, and pay for higher levels of care — Assisted Living, Memory Care and Skilled Nursing — only if and when they need such care. To better accommodate our residents, we’re expanding on our campus, and construction is already underway. We’re excited to invite you to be among the first to find and reserve a new apartment or cottage through our special, limited-time priority program.
The major redevelopment efforts currently underway at Friends House will transform the entire campus. The multi-phase plan is going to provide energy-efficient, fully accessible homes, allowing seniors to enjoy the benefits of our community regardless of their physical abilities or income levels. The overarching goals of this expansion are to:
- Design simple and modest buildings, in tune with the natural environment
- Use sustainable building practices and materials
- Construct buildings for long-term durability, resident affordability and efficient operations
- Continue the sense of community that integrates households of all income levels
- Ensure that the design supports and encourages relationships among residents and also with the wider community
- Enhance and sustain the sense of community based on Quaker values
Groundbreaking is scheduled for spring 2018, with the new construction planned to include duplex cottages and lodges. The brand-new lodges will offer 8 to 10 apartments arranged around a common living space, with an inviting community table for shared meals and a fireplace where residents can gather, talk and relax. Future residents can choose from one-bedroom, one-bedroom and a den, and two-bedroom options, with each residence offering either a patio or balcony. Duplex cottages will have one or two bedrooms and will be joined at the garage wall. The redevelopment plan is currently under review by the Maryland Department of Aging. Upon approval, we’ll have more specific information to share. Please check back frequently for updates.