The new expansion has many environmentally sustainable initiatives planned for our existing community, grounds and in the new buildings:
NEIGHBORHOOD CONNECTIVITY & TRANSPORTATION
- Follow Smart Growth and Intelligent Land Use principles to minimize land use impacts, promotes functional neighborhoods, encourage interactions within the community, and reduce carbon emissions associated with transportation
BIODIVERSITY AND NATURAL FEATURES
- Support preservation of natural areas, while allowing the community to integrate thoughtfully with the surrounding ecosystem
- Minimizes development impacts to the surrounding watershed
- The project is actually modifying the campus layout to remove roads and buildings that have been identified by environmental regulators as being too close to the stream.
- We’re also minimizing nonporous surfaces and creating multiple drainage basins that blend into the outdoor spaces.
WATER EFFICIENCY (OUTDOOR)
- Conserves and protects fresh water resources
- Plants and landscaping will be specified to match indigenous flora that don’t require extra care and watering.
- Saves energy while increasing comfort and durability
- The building exterior walls, roofs and foundations are insulated and water-resistant, preventing air infiltration from outside and maintaining appropriate humidity for comfort of residents.
MAJOR BUILDING SYSTEMS
- Minimize energy consumption and associated environmental impacts
- HVAC and hot water systems are rightsized for the spaces with zone-controlled temperatures and use high-quality, high-efficiency equipment.
INDOOR ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
- Improves indoor environmental quality of the living space, thereby positively impacting health and comfort of the occupants
- By using products that have low off-gassing and degradation, the air and temperature will always be clean and comfortable.
WATER EFFICIENCY (INDOOR)
- Water-efficient plumbing fixtures and appliances are used throughout the community.
MATERIALS & RESOURCES
- Protect natural resources by minimizing materials and waste, and by considering durability and life cycle impacts during product selection
- Materials used for construction are sourced from sustainable resources and/or contain high percentages of recycled content.
OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE (O+M)
- Green O&M plans double as marketing materials to attract staff and residents who are motivated by natural preservation, human health and safety, and long-term affordability.